Tuesday, April 27, 2010

W is for Whatever.

How much has this little word creeped into your vocabulary? Someone cut you off in traffic, "Whatever dude, this is your world and i'm just driving in it." How about listening to the news or talk radio about politics...whatEVER! In today's context, it means whatever you think, whatever you're gonna do, I don't care. Truthfully, this is really disheartening. I mean, really. Some folks need to be cared for...and if they're going down the wrong path, doesn't someone need to at least give 'em a heads up that the road will cease to exist? Not today, not in our postmodern existence. This is tolerance, or so I'm told. Let friends, family members, acquaintances run their life into oblivion, Whatever they want. Really?

We've adopted a don't ask, don't tell policy about everything. Nothing is ok to talk about, because your reality is your reality even if it contradicts REALITY. And yeah, there are some that would say that absolute truth doesn't fit in our world. That no truth is more important than another...and this extends into no living thing is more important than another and this is where it descends into lunacy when folks get more upset about the President of the United States smashing a fly than about the loss of human life. Mixed up, eh?

This morning, I was sitting still and remembered this song "Whatever is true," that is a song from Philippians 4:8.

Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,
whatever is lovely--if ANYTHING* is excellent or praiseworthy, think on such
things. (emphasis added)


The song goes like this:
Whatever is true,
whatever is right
whatever is pure
whatever is lovely
we will fix our thoughts on these things

Jesus you're true
Jesus you're right
Jesus you're pure
You are lovely
We will fix our thoughts on you!

Jesus, Jesus, who is like you, who is like you?
Jesus, Jesus, who is like you, who is like you?
Jesus, Jesus, who is like you, who is like you?
Jesus, Jesus, who is like you, who is like you?
who is like you?


It is my hope and aim to let the latter whatever be the one that comes from my lips, that I may become more like this One, so lovely, pure, right, and true who is willing that none should perish and who died for me, even while I was yet a sinner.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Wow, I really like that song, never heard that verse in song form...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say whatever far too often. I'm going to work on NOT saying it now that I've read this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guilty of saying whatever from time to time. I've never heard that song but the words are true. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.