Tuesday, April 20, 2010

P is for Perfectionism

Perfectionism is the passionate pursuit of procuring of that which is unattainable. It is being the supreme best at being a wife, mother, sister, daughter, teacher, musician, friend, pet owner. It is always doing the right thing, saying the right thing, thinking the right thing, being the right thing. It is a slave driver, it is a ravenous monster that seeks to devour anyone and anything in it's path. It fills one up with the vain notion that perfection can really be attained, that one should have known better, done better, felt better, been better, all of which brings the pursuer of it loads and loads and LOADS of condemnation (There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus) because the reality of it is that it just AIN'T possible. Not only this, it brings with it self-pity. "oh, i know i shoulda done better than that...i must be a real lout..."

Perfectionism is responsible for quite a lot of paralysis...you are paralyzed with fear that you'll fail, paralyzed from action because of indecision, paralyzed from being able to enjoy the moment and being able to laugh at yourself because you're so stuck on the 'transgression' you can't even begin look outside yourself and realize some things have to be learned through trial and ERROR and that is not a bad thing.


Perfection is a monster, its terrors too great to count. It is a robber and a thief. It robs your ability to enjoy your children, because Lord knows, they make lots of mistakes and act exactly the opposite of how you think they should. It steals your hope because you're walking on a tightrope all the time, muscles tight, never able to relax. It swipes your rest because you sit up and worry about things you did or didn't do that you shoulda or shouldn't have. It grabs your energy and your will to fight.



So as I sit and write about this wicked beast, I am looking for power to cut him off at the pass. NO MORE 'stinkin' thinkin'" (something the FlyLady reiterates in her postings). Bringing him and his dastardliness to light is a start, so as I do this, I will call on the name of the Lord, my God.

Lord, I don't know what to do, but my eyes are on you. Help me rout this monster. HE MUST GO! Show me the way to walk in the peace of your presence. Nothing is too difficult for you!

For with God all things are possible.

2 comments:

  1. And now you are in my head... :) Not always a great place to be.

    Thought-provoking post... and very good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Melody - you're in my head, too. :O)This is an excellent reminder that we may not attain perfectionism, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do our very best and pick ourselves up again if we fail. And we ALL fail at some point or other!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.