Sunday, April 4, 2010

1 Peter 5:7

Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. Amplified Bible.



It's a little funny to me how so many people learn a verse of scripture only in the King James version. I do it too. This verse came to me today on the way home from hanging at my mom's house with the family for Easter. I was thinking of God's fervent, ever-present care of me. You see, on Saturday (yesterday), I'd finished, delievered, and had gotten paid for a cake. I was SO thankful to be done with the cake, I am not sure that I took the most affectionate and watchful care that I could have....I placed the check in the pocket of my capri pants along with 2 other checks and headed off to a wonderful time with the kids at Creative Life Incorporated.



While we were there, the kids had kids' world worship led by teenagers in the ministry. It was awesome! After we finished worship, the children were to go outside for an Easter Egg hunt. My mind was not on the checks in my pocket...I was barely attentive to anything else but the fun the children were having and the glorious weather we were all enjoying.



As we were about to leave, a young brother named Lennox came and said he'd found 2 of the checks I'd had in my pocket. I had planned to take them to the bank to deposit or cash them...but was distracted. What a contrast to this verse...that the God of the Universe cares about me watchfully and affectionately...(singing the take6 song --He never sleeps/He never slumbers/He watches me both night and day/The reason I know/He told me so)



When I got home, I discovered that the check I'd just been given for the cake that I had delivered was missing. I called out to my caring, ever-present help saying, "You know Lord where the check is. I ask you to reveal it to me..." I left the worry about the check in his hands. Even if the check was gone for good, I purposed in my heart to trust his care and watchful eye over me. I prayed all afternoon that he would help me because right now, we could not afford to lose the money.



Later that evening after the kids had gone to bed, I wrote a quick thank you note to Dr. Bibbs and the folks at Creative Life for such a wonderful afternoon and asked her if it were possible that the 3rd check had been found. When her reply came back that she had it, I was overwhelmed with relief and strengthened in my faith for God had shown himself to be concerned over the little things of my life. In the grand scheme of things, $40 isn't a huge loss, but the gain of confidence in this great God is worth it many times over.

1 comment:

  1. I learned most verses in KJV... then had to relearn them in (usually) NIV and now have a hard time remembering KJV when people are quoting it! I am so glad that you found the money you lost and that you learned that God takes care of the little things. (If you are like me you have to constantly learn and relearn lessons like that). If you are interested in a challenge to blog more often, it isn't too late to join the April A to Z blogging challenge -- details at my blog or http://tossingitout.blogspot.com/ I always like reading your blog (although I know it is tough to find time to write sometimes!)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.