Monday, April 26, 2010

V is for Virtual Reality

I don't know about you, but when I first encountered this term, I was at the end of high school. There were these bulky helmet-like things you put on your head to fool your eyes into believing you were no longer living in this reality but in a completely different one altogether. I remember thinking, this will NEVER catch on, it's too weird...it's too bulky. Now, some 20 years later, it seems that virtual reality is here to stay. Who woulda thunk the graphics for video games would have become SO lifelike? I'm not sure I did. I played video games like Tetris and Mario brothers. I never got the feeling that I was in the world the Mario lived in..it was too pixelly, too undefined, too cartoony.

Nowadays, playing games like WOW or Lord of the Rings Online(LOTRO) it is very easy to get sucked into the world because the graphics are so much more life-like. Nintendo takes it a step further where it lets the player control the motions of an avatar through her own movements--and this without the dorky helmet.

So what's the point, eh? The point is that just like those video gamers out there, I am living in two realms, the natural and the spiritual. While sometimes, it's tempting to keep focused on the natural with all that we can see, smell, taste, touch, and hear, there is another world that is beckoning to be experienced for in God, the SPIRITUAL is the reality rather than the natural. God is not limited to just what I can see, hear, taste, smell, and touch. I am a citizen of Heaven and I eagerly await a Savior from there. (phil. 3:21). Getting caught up in things around here can serve to deter me or detour me from the road I am on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.