Monday, April 5, 2010

A is for Awesome Spring Break

As part of the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, here is Day 1 (letter A)

What an amazing week it was this past week. Dan, the kids and I were all home for the week. Here's a recap of all we did.
  • Monday, we went grocery shopping and got materials and supplies for 1 of 2 cakes I had to make.
  • Tuesday morning, we went to the zoo, saw the hippos, the gibbon, the cats, and then went out to lunch at a family favorite-central BBQ. After naps it was time to spend the afternoon outside enjoying the backyard and doing a little spring cleaning of the outside toys.
  • Wednesday is usually the day we go to lunch with Dot Dot (my 88 year old great Aunt). We went to the Flying Fish (excellent catfish in downtown Memphis) and rode the trolley.
  • Thursday was fun for the boys as they went to hang out with their friends in Olive Branch while Garner and I ran errands and went to lunch at India Palace.
  • Friday, we went to Memphis Botanic Gardens to enjoy the Big Back Yard. That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool. It was our first time there. We took sack lunches and ate out in the glorious weather. The kiddos adored it. They had the chance to rip and tear with the cousins and I got the chance to hang out with my sister-in-law.
  • Saturday was a little chaotic but FUN. We had to leave the house at 830 to deliver a cake that I was able to do (an addition to the one huge one I had already this week, WOOT). Then we stopped at Target to get Garner a few spring playclothes outfits. After that, we picked up the three Amigos, Jermaine, Ricky, and Alfonso. We went to Creative Life Incorporated for their big Easter outreach/egg hunt extravaganza. Fred Mayer went along. It was a super blessed time. All 5 kids had a blast, finding eggs with stuffed animals, eating hot dogs, popcorn, and candy, candy, candy. After naptime, the cousins and Aunt Dot came over for homemade pizza, 1 large cheese, 1 large Spinach Alfredo (a first time success!).
  • Sunday (Easter Morning) I learned a very valuable lesson that day...the Easter Bunny should NOT leave stuff out for the kids before church. I liked to NEVER got those kids ready for church. We had rehearsal at 830 which we were late to. The church was packed out (or at least a lot fuller because of Easter). We managed to get home and rustle up some grub for everyone, mostly leftovers and convenience food. :/ and get Garner into her room for a nap which she did not take. Meanwhile, Dan was cooking a ham for our Easter supper at mom's, i had to run to the store to get the main ingredient for the hash brown casserole I had to make. We finally got out the door to go get Aunt Dot to go out to mom's and once there, it was so much peace! We had such a great time. All the food was AMAZING. We had ham, smoked turkey, hashbrown casserole, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn pudding, 7 layer salad, homemade wheat rolls, green bean bundles, and for dessert sugarfree strawberry pie or lemon cheesecake (droooooooooooool). In the midst of all this, my niece Mikaela, a known clown, got sight of a mouse in the house. Hilarity broke out when the three men of the Widmer part of the family got together and captured the mouse. We all had a good laugh. It was AWESOME fellowship, great food, and a true blessing.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy, busy week! We have not been to My Big Backyard either... I keep meaning to go. I just found out that the Botanic Gardens discontinued free Wednesday afternoons :( so there goes my first idea for going. We'll get out there eventually... I'd love to meet you out there sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody, it's pretty reasonable to go...$5 for adults and $3 for Andrew. We'll try ang go again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to the sign at the Botanic Gardens, they have changed their free day, but not eliminated it. You should call and ask, since it's not on their website.

    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. no...they've changed it so that the only folks who get "free day" are low income folks...the info is on the website, just not very easy to find.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.