Monday, April 26, 2010

(S)tinking (T)hinking

For those of you out there who read after Marla Cilley (aka the "FLYLady") you've heard this term before. It's something that must be eradicated if one is ever to really "FLY" or Finally LOVE yourself. More than that, it must be replaced with the truth. You see, we have an enemy and one of his most powerful tools is the lie. And lots of times, these lies are swallowed hook line and sinker because they are not the outrageous and far fetched, but they're insidious, insipid, cleverly fashioned partial truths that we take on without batting an eye because of the veneer of truth.

Personally, I feel as though I'm swimming in the sea of "half"-truth (put this in quotations because there are some lies that to say half truth is exaggerating a puddle into the ocean). The most glaring right now is that my life is mine to do with it what I will. And while there is some truth to this, it's not ALL true. The Word says: You are not your own, you were bought with a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Now, the context of this is sexual immorality, but the Truth speaks to more areas than just this. It all boils down to motivation. Why do I do the things I do? To answer this question is to bring into focus the ultimate aim for such action: is it to be stroked in my ego? is it because I want to impress someone (which inevitably comes back to me--trying to curry favor with someone who can give me something I want be it a stroke on my ego or influence for a situation) Ultimately, if my answer to the question of why I do what I do is answered in any other way than to honor God, then I'm believing the lie. And living the life believing the lie is living the life that is not victorious. Because the way a person thinks determines the way s/he acts.

I know that this is not the whole of the lies I'm believing. I know I will visit this note often. So why is it in my blog about contentment? It's because it's a hinderance to being content in the Lord. The lie separates, the truth sets free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.