Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tuning into God's Frequency.

Seems simple enough, doesn't it? You turn the dial until you can hear someone coming through clearly. (at least back in my day...nowadays there are automatic tuners that tune at the touch of a button with precision accuracy). It's hard to think of it, but really, there is a lot of static coming at us from all directions: TV commercials, the 'Joneses,' department store circulars, that little imp inside you that wants it her way or no way. They are all saying the same thing: you need more because you deserve it.You shouldn't have to suffer. You don't need to wait, have what you want NOW! (Can't you just hear Billy Mays?) You can have it all: a career, a great relationship with your husband and kids. It's all about you and what makes you comfortable.



The sad part is most of the stuff we clamor for brings short-lived, if any, real satisfaction. There's a line in a song by the late great Rich Mullins that haunts me with this truth: Surrender don't come natural to me/I'd rather fight you for something I don't really want than to take what you give that I need. It's a real battle not to try go after this stuff, to make something happen with MY own power, influence, and foolishness. All along, God is saying, "Open wide your mouth and I will fill it with the richest of fares" (and this is no Krystal burger. We're talking US Prime Ribeye from Ruth's Chris). He says to wait--and yes, in that still small voice that is so difficult to hear over the noise. He won't shout over it, he wants my heart. He wants to see if I'll take the time to seek him and his narrow way.



Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13,14.



I want to be one of those few, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.