Friday, October 2, 2009

James 4:2b

You have not because you ask not.



Sounds simple, right? Simple yes, but somehow not easy. As many times as I have heard this verse, it has never sunk in as deeply as it has today. It is churning inside me as I look at my bank account and the need to buy groceries for the next two weeks when we get paid again. The first part of our month is really slim because that's when the mortgage and the utility bill get paid. It simply doesn't leave a whole lot of room for error in spending. So, this morning when I set out on my shopping errands, I prayed. I prayed that God would help me find great deals on what we needed so that I would not spend all the grocery cash we had. I am ashamed to mention that this thought had never occurred to me, even as long as I had been a Christian. Were the lessons not there or worse yet, had I never listened to them?



I took out $75 and God was faithful. I got $31.50 worth at Aldi, $.86 at Mary Carter, and $28.00 (even. really.) at Kroger, all of which included the meat and produce for our dinners the next 2 weeks. I was left with a grand total of around $15 bucks and a greater appreciation for the Lord and his desire to intervene in my life as I give him permission. What I learned is that I can ask him for anything and that he can and will come through for me. And this is how it is possible to praise him in every situation. He is walking right beside me through our time of need. Is being in need easy? No, not really, but he is there to lighten the load.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.