Thursday, October 1, 2009

A side trip, but recurring theme.


Out of necessity as much as principle, I made a commitment last month to cook more at home rather than go after the restaurant fare. I'm using the book Saving Dinner the Low Carb Way written by Leanne Ely of Flylady fame. We've enjoyed so many of the recipes, I thought it would be fun to catalog those that we cooked and the family response to them as well as the cost per serving. So here goes:


Tonight we had Roasted and Chicken with Peppers. First of all, I'll give the disclaimer. This is NOT cosmetic food and I'm not a photog. Additionally, I'll say that this recipe was easy and quick.
The goods:
4 breast of chicken (i used boneless, skinless, but the recipe calls for split or on the bone breasts)
2 T olive oil
1 T lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 t rosemary, crushed
1 medium red onion
1 red pepper cut into strips
The process:
chuck all the ingredients into a large ziptop bag (if u do it the nite before, all the better)
set your oven to 500 degrees. Dump ingredients onto roasting pan and roast (b/s chick for total of about 15min turning once. chicken on the bone gets 10 min each side.) Serve with veg piled on top of chicken. DELISH!
The response:
The adults like it though both thought that the rosemary was a little much. Both recommend scraping some of it off before eating. The kids both ate it without a fuss.
The cost: (roughly, that is)
under $2/a person including sides. (take THAT Chili's!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.