Sunday, October 4, 2009

Crock Pots bring happiness.

Who woulda thought that something so simple would point the way towards contentment? Sounds crazy, right? Since before Dan and I married, it was our custom to go out to lunch and 'continue the fellowship' over a meal made by someone else (preferably by someone who'd also clean it up). Now that things have become tighter, this is just not a reality.

Now, I could pine after my lunches out and disdain the simpler fare that would be available in minutes at my house--cold sandwiches, ramen noodles, frozen pizza, microwave meals, but sersiously, am I gonna rush home for any of those things? NAH not hardly. Cold sandwiches on Sunday is like going to the fair but not getting to ride any rides or better yet, to go and NOT get a hot crispy corn dog slathered with mustard paired with an ice cold Coca Cola. But then, there is this wonderful gift we were given when we got married--the crock pot. It's happy to slave away whilst we're worshipping with the body of Christ, filling my house with heavenly aromas. I cannot remember who gave us the crock pot, but will say that it's probably the most used item we've got. For now I can say with utmost confidence, I look forward to Sunday lunch. I'm grateful to have a hot meal waiting on me when I get home. The little things do matter.

And now for the analysis:


The Dish: No Hurry Crock Curry

The Goods:
1lb lean beef, cut into 1" cubes
salt and pepper to taste
1 med onion chopped
1 sm. red bell pepper chopped
1 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic, pressed (I like to mince since the pickier folks in the house like that)
1/4 c tomato puree
2 t curry
2 t paprika
2 t ginger root, grated

garnish:
1 c plain yogurt
1/4 c cilantro, chopped

Place beef, oil, salt, and pepper, curry powder in ziptop bag and mush around. (marinate overnite for best results, or for at least one hour prior to cooking) Brown meat in skillet, dump in crock pot, add a little oil to skillet and saute onions and peppers. add to pot. Deglaze pan with 1/2 c. water. Add ginger root, tomato puree, and paprika. Cook on high 4-6 hours, low 7-8 (ours cooks fast so it was ready after 4.5 hours on low). Garnish with yogurt and cilantro. Serve over Basmati rice (indian rice).

The result:
Didn't really give it to the younglings because curry is such a pungent spice. They ate homemade mac and cheese because I could fix it quickly, get them fed, and in the bed (the goal for sun. afternoon). This dish was a two thumbs up, and two other thumbs enthusiastically way up. I'll let you guess which was which.

The cost:
Under $2/person including rice. YUM

The source:
Saving Dinner the Low Carb Way by Leanne Ely

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.