Saturday, April 2, 2011

B is for Buttercream

It's been a wild, but totally wonderful day. I spent the afternoon with kids and hubs and a good friend. We went hiking in Shelby Forest. The weather was sublime. It was absolutely the best day we've all had in awhile. I know, you're reading and thinking what in the world does this have to do with buttercream. I know..I'm thinking that, too. Honestly, though, it has a lot to do with buttercream. For those of you that don't know, I've spent not a few hours slaving over cakes I've made (with buttercream icing on top, of course). Alton Brown calls cake the delivery device for icing. It's the best part. It's days in the park with the people you love hiking in perfect weather. It's enjoying a movie with friends where you laugh and cry and are puzzled all at the same. Sometimes we think how wonderful life would be if we could have days like this, moments like this all the time, but like buttercream, too much of a good thing is not a good thing. (Those of you who love buttercream will know what I'm talking about). It becomes easy to expect that life has no trouble, that someone owes us/ that we deserve...but really we don't. Buttercream is a gift from God, spontaneous and unexpected, and therefore received with gratitude. I know I am thankful for the heaping he put on my plate today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I belong to Jesus. I am married to Dan. I am mom to Pearce and Garner. I am a musician, a cook, a taxi driver, a teacher, a manager. I am me.